Friday 12 January 2007

January 12 ~ Head On


I saw a bunch of tulips in the supermarket yesterday after work, and the sight of them instantly brightened my day. They have long been one of my favourite flowers, and it had been such a dark, stormy day. I just had to buy them - they reminded me that spring really isn't that far away (even though it may feel it on a day like yesterday, with 80mph wind gusts and torrential downpours!)

I liked the full-on frontal view of this; it struck me as something a little bit different from the conventional tulip photograph. I also liked the way it looked positioned way off to the right in the frame, rather than filling the frame - again, a bit different.

I had a wonderful surprise today. The February 2007 issue of Digital Camera Magazine dropped through our letterbox today, and to my great delight in the Hotshots section was one of my photos!!!!! :) :) :) It's a shot of a puffin I took this past June while on a trip to the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast. It was the first time I had seen puffins in the wild, and the first time I had the chance to photograph them, and it was an experience I will not forget! Here's a little version of the photo:




I am doubly proud of this published photo: the magazine asked for a shot of myself with my camera to be sent to them for the article, and my husband Chris took it for me (it's also my profile photo on the right here). He has therefore been published for the first time as well! Congratulations my love - you took a photo of me I actually LIKE! LOL


5 comments:

Kaycee said...

Congratulations on having your photo published,AB! I am thrilled for you! It must be fantastic to see your work in such an excellent photography magazine. Congratulations to your husband,too!

I really like the composition and perspective that you use to photograph this vibrant tulip! And the flower details are so sharp.

Mary said...

Congratulations on the publication of your photo. You have grown so much as a photographer since I first saw your work at the Cafe. You deserve the recognition for all your hard work.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Woohoo well done, such a nice feeling to have one of your photos published, and such a nice one too. Congratulations and hope this is the first of many more!

Anna Ridley said...

Thank you so much Kathy, Mary and Lori!

I'm still on a bit of a high, to be truthful - it's such a buzz! :)

Pat said...

Hey Anna! You're home!

I can hardly wait to see your piccies!